ASCE - Human Powered Transportation Committee (HPT Com.)
January 10, 1999
HPT Committee Meeting
Session 1 - Sunday, January 10, 1999
Session 2 - Monday, January 11, 1999
HPT Committee Meeting, Session 1
- Sunday, January 10, 1999
Senate Room - Omni Shoreham
The following individuals attended Session 1 of the HPT Committee
1. Carol Tan Esse
2. David Harkey
3. Ann Hershfang (Walk Boston)
4. Richard Moeur (Arizona DOT)
5. John LaPlante
6. Jeff Davis
7. Christopher Douwes
8. Martin Petrucha
9. Jim Glock
10. John Fegan
11. Kevin St Jacques
12. Mac Elliott
13. Jerry Kaplan
14. Said Essa
15. Jotin Khisty
16. Barbara McMillen
17. Gihon Jordan
18. Jennifer Toole
19. Charlie Zegeer (UNC HRC)
20. David Loutzenheiser
21. Dave Daubert
22. Fred Coleman (Univ. of Ill)
Action Items: During the meeting the following issues and items were identified that either need additional discussion or require action as noted:
1) Rumble Strips - HPT Committee to monitor, review and comment on FHWA final guidelines being completed in the next several months. Committee members should make recommendations on the minimum shoulder width, design standards and application criteria via FHWA Website address http://www.ohs.dot.gov/rumblestrips
2) FHWA Roundabout Guide - Reviewers will provide comments to David Loutzenheiser by Feb 1 for submittal to Bruce Robinson of Kittelson & Associates by mid.-Feb. 1999. Reviewers include the following individuals - Kevin St. Jacques, Mac Elliott, Jeff Davis, John LaPlante, David Loutzenheiser and Dave Daubert.
3) FHWA Bicycle/Pedestrian College Course Workbook - Committee members to provide review comments to David Loutzenheiser by Feb 1. Draft documents were provided to the following committee members: Mac Elliott, Jerry Kaplan, Jeff Davis, John LaPlante, Jotin Khisty and Alex Sorton. Jotin Khisty to send synopsis of HCS chapters on bicycle capacity to Carol Tan Esse for use in FHWA Ped/Bicycle College Course Workbook, with cc to David Loutzenheiser and Jeff Davis FYI.
4) HPT Video - Dave Harkey agreed to review and revise script prepared by Mac Elliott. Other reviewers will include by Kevin St. Jacques, Jeff Davis, Jotin Khisty and Jerry Kaplan. Draft script will also be sent to individuals on the original video review panel. Comments should be submitted to Mac Elliott by March 1, 1999. Once the script has been reviewed, work will begin on dealing with the technical production of the video. Jeff Davis to contact Adam Stone regarding the technical production of the video.
5) Proposal for tracks and sessions at the ASCE 2000 Annual Convention in Seattle are due to ExCom by mid-April, 1999. Mike Hewitt will send announcement and memorandum by early February.
6) TEA21 Policy Statement - The final statement will be completed in September 1999. Mac Elliott and David Loutzenheiser will monitor progress and provide comments as necessary on behalf of the HPT Committee.
7) Submit Committee activities and membership needs to the ASCE News (David Loutzenheiser)
Agenda Items: Meeting topics are summarized in the following list of agenda items:
1. Welcome and Review of Agenda - The first meeting session was called to order at 7:30 p.m. Participants in the meeting were introduced. The agenda for the meeting was reviewed and several items were identified for discussion during the second meeting session held from 7:00p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
2. TEA 21 Policy Document - John Fegan announced that a meeting will be held from 3:45 - 5:30 p.m. in the Committee Room in the Omni Shoreham Tuesday Afternoon to review policy issues related to TEA21. The purpose of this effort is to develop policy document that identifies when is it appropriate to do something for bikes and what should be done once a determination has been made. Document is likely to include prioritization issues. HPT previously participated in the policy dialogue process and submitted comments in the fall of 1998. Mac Elliott and Jeff Davis will attend meeting on behalf of ASCE.
3. FHWA College Pedestrian/Bicycle University Course Workbook - Carol Tan Esse presented overview. Seven HPT Committee members have received draft copies to review. FHWA would like to receive comments from HPT committee by 2/15/99. Martin P., Jennifer T., Charlie Z., & Jeff D. discussed status of the document preparation. Jennifer T. provided review of document objectives and materials utilized in preparing the document. Copy of overview provided listing of sources for chapter materials and identified the subject matter of the 24 lessons. Martin P. in which he reviewed the format, content and objectives presented an overview of the Instructor's Manual. A comment from Jotin K. suggested that the document include information from new HCM chapters on bicycles and pedestrians. Dr. Khisty agreed to create synopsis of new HCM bike/ped. Chapters for use in the FHWA workbook. He agreed to submit write-up to Carol Tan Esse. FHWA will hold workshop in March 1999 with transportation professors (50 slots) to discuss course, workbook and other related issues. ITE list of transportation professors (from Martin P.) and ASCE-HPT list may be helpful in identifying potential candidates for the workshop.
4. HPT Bicycle Video - Newly created draft script was presented and discussed by Mac Elliott. The previously created 5-member Video Review Committee will be reorganized and Mac's version of the script will be reviewed. Jeff Davis will communicate and distribute script to video review committee for comment and feedback. Jeff Davis to contact Adam Stone regarding technical production.
5. AASHTO Design Guide - A review of the current status of the AASHTO Bicycle Facility Design Guide was provided by John LaPlante. The design guide has been approved by 38 states this past fall, only 35 are necessary for approval. Some comments will need to be addressed prior to completion including rumble strips, interchanges and dual units. The anticipated completion date is late spring 1999. Plans are underway to create a Pedestrian Facility Design Guide that will be in the same format as the bike guide.
6. Shoulder Rumble Strips - According to Gihon Jordan a test track with five different types of rumble strip is being evaluated by bicycle rides at Penn State University. FHWA is in the process of developing broad sweeping policy. Primary issues include width of shoulders, design criteria and warrants for application. Richard Moeur of AZ DOT reported that there are current problems with rumble strip policy in AZ. He provided the committee with copies of revisions that he is proposing that the DOT adopt to rectify the problem. An extensive discussion of rumble strips was conducted. Website address http://www.ohs.dot.gov/rumblestrips is available for review of current FHWA materials and provides avenue for comment.
7. Charlie Zegeer. discussed topics that may be evaluated in the near future regarding pedestrian devices. Criteria for locations of sidewalks (retrofitting and new construction) Paired analysis of application cross walks at uncontrolled locations. Improved guidelines for crosswalks and pedestrians. Website on ped/smart devices in 2 or 3 weeks for FHWA review officially open by late march. Microwave detection/its type devices.
8. As reported by David Harkey, two documents are now available through the FHWA. These include Development of The Bicycle Compatibility Index: A Level of Service Concept (FHWA-RD-98-072) and The Bicycle Compatibility Index: A Level of Service Concept (FHWA-RD-98-095) which also contains a spreadsheet.
9. Members participated in a discussion of roundabouts and review of document provided by Kittelson & Associates. Seven copies of the document were provided for review and comment by the HPT Committee.
The following individuals attended Session 2 of the HPT Committee
1. Jotin Khisty
2. Mac Elliott
3. David Loutzenheiser
4. Lois Thibault (Access Board)
5. Lucas Franck (Access Board)
6. Dave Daubert
7. Kevin St. Jaques
8. John LaPlante
9. Richard Moeur
10. Mike Hewitt
11. Christopher Douwes
12. George Hiakakus
13. Peter Axelson (FHWA Santa Cruz)
14. Jeff Davis
1. Accessibility Issues - Lois Thibault handed out latest issue (Nov/Dec 1998) of newsletter. "Accessible Rights of Way" A Design Manual, draft copy was provided to committee for review. Mac E. will retain copy for loan to members and friends. Provided report of Access Board activities and projects with MUTCD etc. Lucas Frank discussed audible locator tones for pedestrian tones.
2. FHWA Roundabout Guide - Extensive discussion by all members regarding draft FHWA document provided for review by Kittelson & Associates, Inc. Mac Elliott distributed seven copies made available by Bruce Robinson of Kittelson & Associates, Inc. They have requested that the committee provide comments back to Kittelson by mid-Feb. 1999.
3. Conferences - Urban Streets Symposium www.urbanstreet.org Technical papers are due Friday. National ASCE Convention Oct. 2000 Seattle, WA. Mike Hewitt will send conference announcement with UTD memorandum to all committees by early February 1999. Committee proposals for tracks and technical sessions will be due to ExCom in mid-April 1999. All committee proposals will be integrated into a comprehensive transportation program with other committees and submitted in mid-summer 1999 to the Seattle Organizing Committee for consideration in the 2000 ASCE National Convention.
4. ExCom Report - Jeff Davis provided report on UTD ExCom activities including committee budgets, proposed leadership conference and technical program at ASCE Convention. Procedures for submitting committee proposals for the UTD Technical Program at ASCE National Convention in Seattle Oct. 2000 were discussed by Jeff Davis and Mike Hewitt. The UTD leadership conference in Lake Tahoe (2 or 3rd week in August 1999 was discussed with respect to committee participation and travel fund resources. Guidance for spending committee funds, UT allocation strategies and funding for special projects were all discussed in detail with HPT Committee members.
5. Committee Communications - A list serve (as created by David Loutzenheiser) was added to the committee Website. The list serve includes the current HPT roster, which was distributed for review. David will also contact the UTD News Corespondent Don Uzarski to get HPT committee announcements included in the ASCE News, which appears on a quarterly basis.
6. The next meeting of the HPT Committee is anticipated to occur in conjunction with the ASCE Leadership Conference scheduled for August 1999 in Lake Tahoe, CA. More details will be provided as the meeting location and times are finalized.
Return to ASCE HPT Committee homepage
ASCE Human Powered Transportation Committee